What forms of Identification are Accepted?

In order to complete your application, we need to be able to verify who you are. We're currently able to accept the following forms of identification:

  • State-issued Driver's Licenses or Learner's Permits
  • State-issued Identification Cards
  • U.S. Passport Cards*
  • U.S. Passport Books*
  • U.S. Employment Authorization Cards
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Cards
  • Tribal Enrollment/Membership Cards
  • I-872 American Indian Cards
  • Please keep in mind that you may also be asked to submit a document proving your residency in the state you've applied. See “What if my ID doesn’t match my state of residence?” below for more information about our proof of residency requirements.

We're not able to accept the following forms of identification at this time:

  • Military Identification Cards
  • Foreign Passports
  • Expired Identification Cards
  • Temporary, paper Identification Cards
  • Mexican, South American, and Caribbean Consular Identification Cards
  • State-issued License to Carry a Handgun Cards

When taking a photo of your ID, please keep the following requirements in mind:

  • The ID must be placed on a flat surface
  • All 4 corners of the ID must be clearly visible
  • Hands and fingers must not cover any part of the ID
  • The photo must be clear and all information must be easy to read
  • There should not be any excessive shadows or glares
  • The ID must NOT be expired

Why am I being asked for proof of residency?

If your ID does not match your state of residence we will need you to provide us with proof of residency documentation to verify that you now live in a state we operate in.

Below are some guidelines to consider before submitting your proof of residency documentation:

  • It has to be an official document (nothing handwritten)
  • It must include your full name
  • It must include your current address
  • There MUST be a clearly marked date from within the last 30 days

Some common examples of acceptable proof of residency documents are:

  • Leases (only if beginning in the current 30 calendar days)
  • Utility Bills dated within the last 30 days (including phone, electric, gas/sewer, cable/internet, garbage/recycling)
  • Medical Invoices (bills sent to the customer for services rendered that month)
  • New ID photo issued that month
  • Government Issued Documents (tax forms, court documents, deeds/titles, voter registration, school registration forms or tuition bills)
  • Employment Documents (recent paystubs within the last 30 days)
  • Insurance documents (medical, dental, automobile, life, etc)
  • Bank statements (within the last 30 days)
  • Certificate of Title for Automobile (only if issued that month)
  • Mortgage Bill (within the last 30 days)


What if my name doesn't match my ID or SSN card?

In order to move forward with your application, your ID and SSN card must include your updated name.

We're sorry for the inconvenience! We take your security very seriously and must assure that no identity theft occurs on our platform.

For more information on how to get your SSN card updated, check out this blog on the Social Security Administration's website: https://blog.ssa.gov/need-to-change-your-name-on-your-social-security-card/

Once you obtain an updated SSN card, you should then be able to update your ID card.


Why is my address invalid?

If you're receiving an invalid address error, our payment partner is having trouble verifying your address using the United States Postal Service (USPS) database.

In order to proceed with your application, they'll need to be able to verify your address.

Some customers have reported success using older street names or fixing abbreviations in their addresses. Alternatively, if you receive mail at a PO Box, you can use the address of your PO Box instead.

Was this article helpful?
11 out of 25 found this helpful



Article is closed for comments.